Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We were siblings sometime

On broken relations between siblings
------------------------------------------------


Tired, exhausted and fatigued, I returned back home
Power was off and the weather was hot
The generator of the building turned bad and I felt raged
It was the month of May and the rains were still away
Sleeping without AC, I can’t manage it, my wife told me straightaway

I called the power house, but as usual found the line engaged
I tried half an hour, but then gave way
Cursing India, I lamented the decision to return from the States
Throwing the cordless away, I gazed at my spouse
Seeking her furious, I proposed to sleep upstairs
Finding no other way, her infuriated contour gave its nod

Laying cots on the floor, I reminisced some thoughts
Bypassing those thoughts, I reclined on the floor
My wife cursing India asked us to go back to the States
Assuring her to return hastily, I stared at Moon and stars, and got framed by those thoughts

What common did I find in this moon?
I had got grey hair, but the moon was still same
The stars were same, the location was same and the orientation alike
Exactly Same what we siblings used to gaze whole night long years ago
We siblings broke up but the moon and stars were still intact
Staying together and loving and caring for one another
They were still ready to assist others, willing to die for others and as always happy for others

The Moon still had a slur
The stars were still twinkling
But those inadequacies were still not potent enough to tear them asunder

The cool breeze was still blowing
The Mother nature was still embracing me
The moon was composed and the stars poised
But their composure was erupting a volcano inside me

It were we who had changed
In our daily chores, in our hectic lives, in our mutual hatreds
For our petty selfishness, for our minnow benefits and for our superficial elegance

The moon was big and the stars tiny
I was elder and other siblings small
The moon succeeded to keep the sky in concert
But who had failed to keep siblings together was me

Moon never competed with the stars
It was never envious, it felt joyous on seeing the stars

But I felt jealous on seeing the siblings glad
I broke up with them when they needed me to stand

I got rich and they became impoverished
When they needed me, I left them exactly then

Moon gave its moonshine to the stars
Remained dimmed but beamed the stars
but I failed to give my younger even their right
Of sleeping on wet and keeping them dry
became the sword when they expected the shield


These thoughts were making it unbearable for me to sleep under the sky
The moon was intolerable and the stars were making me shy
Stars were making me feel opprobrious and disgraceful
The sky was disdainful and the stars indifferent

Cool breeze was blowing but I was sweating
All of a sudden I screamed and got up

It was 6 in the morning and stars had disappeared
The moon had went away and sun had risen

What happened, coming upstairs asked my wife
Was I in a dream, asked I
Yes you were, asked my wife
What was it about, enquired she
Of a person who fled his duties, replied I

Then I wondered what I replied
Filled with regret and remorse, I determined to repent
To make up for what I had done

So, when are we flying to the States,
This India is our States, replied I
We will stay here, and are journeying to my village today, replied I

I stared at the sky
The moon and stars were not there
But I thanked the sky
I thanked the power house and the telephone line
My wife gazed at esoteric me
While I kept thanking the sky
Thanking the sky
Thanking the sky

24 comments:

Sai said...

Bhai,
Kya thinking hai boss!!

KK said...

In this era of nuclear family & individualistic fundamentals, i suppose your poem can ignite minds to come together again & work for prosperity for not only family but also villagers as well.

santosh said...

a great great way tat maked me to think about my mother nation
yessss
its true tat i was also dreaming to fly to states
away frm my parents jst to make my career
but no
the gift tat my country gives tat us cant give
all about moon n star is about every humanbeing
the thing tat i learned was
just realise ur duties
country first

Unknown said...

Great one...
It's a great deal....
I think it should be circulated through orkut to many minds....

Unknown said...

outstanding creation of urs
am completely mesmerised by it
feel like readin again and again
u r a real connoisseeur
a gr8 lesson 2 learn frm dis mellifluous wrk
well done

Unknown said...

great piece, u got some talent dude!

rocky said...

Hey Ravi ,
Nice Post .. I liked the Indian are Humans ? Post very Much . Keep up the Hard work...

Unknown said...

Good writing skill dude.. Appreciations!.. Your thoughts are awe-inspiring.

Unknown said...

I liked ur poetic style of writing!!!

Unknown said...

Nice one..
you really have that Social awareness...
Hope we also learn and develop that to make the world a better place to live.
Nice thinking and you can put your thoughts into words also..

tinoz1980 said...

Ravi,In these days of changing moralities and family values,most of them become cruelly selfish and it is not a point or an aspect to be blamed upon ,rather the life is becoming narrower and lifeless .More than three-fourths of your life you end up spending time to make money and then your savings and then your responsibilities .Tell me can you afford to loose your concentration on any of these ?no you cannot ,you will perish if you dare to do it :) Yes at the same time your siblings are the most important ones ,because it is them with whom ou started your life and created the launch pad for the success ,which we enjoy today :) We have to keep them in mind and can never afford to loose them too :)

Unknown said...

Hmm..interesting

tarak said...

Beautiful! and so real..

kk said...

Very patriotic!

Ali said...

Nice thoughtss man.....all developing country should have people who these kind of thoughts for their homeland...........

Jewelry Designer said...

Nice thought ,Ravi!

ameetsingh said...

Gr8 style of writing.
I liked it.

Unknown said...

good one man...

your blogs are really igniting some patriotic feelings in me....

Monica said...

very interesting, it is always important to have pride in your country and your nationality

Unknown said...

Just one small CR problem...

"Tired ..., I returned home" is idiomatic.

Returned back is unidiomatic and wordy.

Unknown said...

Very Emotional......

wangshu said...

love more...

siphar said...

Good one , really gud one but frankly speaking looks gud on paper.real thing starts or i would say practicality starts wen u reach ur village.
But still can be termed as thought provoking.
Would give full credit to your creativity.

H_Raja79 said...

Hi Ravi –

Very different from your other posts and really caught me off guard. Very interesting way of expressing your thoughts on the issue. We should all remember regardless of where we are that where we came from and never loose our identity. Be always willing to go back and help out in our mother land.

H_Raja79